Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Friendship

Jen is a friend of mine.  She lives in Atlanta.  A little while ago, Jan and her friend Kam started a website that aims to give confidence to young women ("The Closet Narcissist").  Their site, which includes a blog, encourages girls and women to feel good about themselves, and not be dragged down by poor body-image and media-pressure to be skinny.  Their motivation is pure and noble.

In addition to this, Jen blogs regularly and you may have seen her comments on your blog.  She's a lovely person with a big heart.  It's not a surprise she has several dogs and helps many in her world.

Jen was one of the first people to accept me as a transgendered person.  From the outset, she supported me in a true, real way that encouraged me to be more courageous and open to the world.  Jen is part of my personal history.

So, with this background, it was a very pleasant surprise when Jen sent me a free necklace this week.  She and Kam have just started making necklaces by hand and selling them on their website.  The price is low and designed simply to offset the expenses of their positive social work.  I encourage you to take a look and consider supporting their good efforts.

Here's the necklace Jen sent me.  Its meaning is particularly significant to me.





And that's a shoe-charm dangling on the chain!

15 comments:

  1. my heart is officially warmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love this necklace ! I will have to check out their blog. I Love Positive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a sweetheart for posting this. I was most especially touched that you said I'm a part of your personal history. What an honor! You've touched my own life maybe more than you even know. Also, many people's minds have been opened and changed for the better in my circle because of you. I don't know if it sounds strange to put it this way, but sometimes when I read a new blog post or email from you, I sort of feel like a proud parent watching a child blossom and grow. It's beautifully satisfying to witness. I'm so grateful that fate saw fit for us to develop a friendship.

    I hope you enjoy your necklace and let it be one of the many positive forces you have in your life to remind you of how special and worthy of a person you are and to continue being brave, yet vulnerable.

    Using a pic from my wedding reminds me that I need to post about that! ;)

    Thank you again!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS NECKLACE.. oh so great.. and what a great surprise to get something like this as a gift.. thats so nice!! I am going to go check out their blog for sure... hope you are well and had a super day. fingers crossed for no fog tomorrow so I can fly home.. no more mirror image photos.. hah hah xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible and positive initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya! Just to let you know, I've changed my URL to http://sammi-in-wonderland.blogspot.com/

    I've noticed that a lot of my readers can't read my blog anymore so please update any links. You may have to subscribe again via RSS/Google Friend Connect/Newsletter. Sorry about this, I definitely won't be changing my URL again. xD

    Thanks, Sammi x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome. Don't you love it when you get gifts that are just so you? Your post really touched me. I'll check them out later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a touching, beautiful post. So nice to hear how amazing your friends are. I'm going to have to check out their blog. And I love the necklace... definitely inspiring!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely gift! That looks like an Anne Taintor image on the large piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really perfect for you- what a thoughtful gift! I can just envision you wearing it under your boy-clothes at work during the day, like a secret talisman reminding you of your true self.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you know how I think, Lawyerdoll. I do wear such talismans every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw what a sweet friend! Its a lovely necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a beautiful necklace and a sweet message. Jen and Kam are beautiful people and their blog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete