Saturday, January 1, 2011

"The King's Speech"

This movie surprised me -- it is much better than I expected.

Most historical films lack gripping drama and most personal dramas lack big context.  This movie has both in a winning combination.

The movie tells the true story of the man who became King George VI.  Afflicted with a stammer since childhood, Bertie struggles with an increasing demand for public-speaking arising from his regal position.  He becomes King when his elder-brother abdicates the throne (to marry an American divorcee) and must make important war-time speeches to calm and rally his country.  In his struggle, Bertie gets the assistance of an uncredentialed Australian whose results in helping people overcome speech-defects result from both technical aid and real friendship.

Colin Firth is a terrific actor who deserved the Oscar nomination he received last year for the largely-unseen film, "A Single Man."  You may remember him as Bridget Jones's boyfriend, Mark Darcy, in the two Bridget Jones movies.  Here, Firth is exceptional in portraying a determined, yet frustrated man who has to reach further than he's capable of, with the fate of a country resting on the outcome.

Firth is certain to get another Oscar-nomination and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him win Best Actor.  Geoffrey Rush is equally good as the Aussie speech-therapist.  Helena Bonham Carter plays Bertie's wife with warmth.

Bertie's daughter, Elizabeth, grew up to become the current Queen of England.  She and her sister Margaret are shown as children.

This is an engaging human-drama about big world events, with interesting and accurate history.  The writing, performances and direction are superb and worth watching.

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too!!
    My husband REALLY wants to see this movie so I guess it will be worth it then!! I thought it looked really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive been so stoked about this film. Ian and I have been dying to see it. Thanks for your take on it. It makes me want to see it more.

    Some great movies I've seen and recommend:

    Get Low
    True Grit
    The Fighter
    I Love You Phillip Morris
    Only When I Dance
    Barney's Version

    All great films. Get Low is UNBELIEVABLE!!

    xoxo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "Get Low" and have also been raving about it to friends. Not enough people have seen it, or even heard about it. Thanks, also, for the other recommendations, Tracy. You're on the cutting-edge of culture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This movie sounds good. I will definitely give it a go. Besides...Colin Firth is a Hottie : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to the movies this afternoon to see this, I'm dying to see it!!
    xx

    www.ohmyvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing this, but will probably wait until it hits cable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely watch this, have been watching the advertisements every time I go to the movies for the past one month.

    Love

    Tashrin from Toronto, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd marry Colin Firth in another lifetime if I can! I too, enjoyed the A Single Man. It was such a poignant film for me and thought of a lot of my friends (and myself) when I was watching it. It makes you reflect on your life, doesn't it?

    p.s. Always great to hear from you my dear!

    besos,

    ML
    Happy, Happy New Year!

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to see this movie - right up my alley. Great review!

    ReplyDelete