Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Kitchen Decorations

I shoot many of my outfits in the kitchen and one reader commented on the decorative teapot on a cabinet shelf.  That made me think it'd be fun to introduce you to my collection.  Here goes!

I am definitely not a tchotchke person.  (That's New York slang for knickknacks.)  Each of the four items below has symbolic meaning beyond mere decoration.

The first item is the only family heirloom I own.  Sixty years ago, my father left a war-torn country and came to America.  He arrived without any family or friends.  The little family he left behind have never visited here and I don't know them.  When my father's father was dying in the 1970's, my dad returned to his homeland (alone) to say goodbye.  His family gave him this ashtray with our family name on it.  He brought it back to us and now it's in my hands.

At first glance, you might think the ashtray is kitschy, but it is more than that.  It has real sentimental value -- it is the only connection I have to my family's past.  Plus, its design is, upon closer inspection, quite appealing despite the dated motif.  Here are two pictures of it...






Next up is a teapot displaying a view of the world like a globe.  I acquired it while visiting the scenic Acadia National Park in Maine two years ago.  Next to the Park is a lovely resort town named Bar Harbour -- which, in a Maine accent, is pronounced, "Baa HaaBaa."  :)




Did you know that, in England, the bird they call a robin is a completely different bird than the one we here in America call the robin?  A close-friend of mine, who lives in Wales, learned this and sent me a matching set of objects depicting the English type of robin.




Finally, for comic relief, here's my white-trash coin-bowl.  When I started riding motorcycles, people began having fun with me about the associations motorcycling has with disreputable low-life.  Since I'm as far from a hairy, tattooed biker as one can be, when my friends joke about this, it's funny.  I join them in the humor.




Any impressions?

23 comments:

  1. I'm a little confused with the Robin... I was expecting to see a different bird but it's the bird we refer to as Robin in Canada. What's an American robin?

    I think it's sweet that you share your tresures and the stories with them. Its like show and tell for adults. :) I too have family heirlooms that are worth so much to me because of the family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed pretty hard at the tattoo fund jar - wasn't expecting it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shall we create a foundation called the Shybiker Tattoo Foundation? People can donate and get tax receipts for it?

    Just sayin...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys crack me up!

    Ashelle, if you'd be willing to share pics of your heirlooms with us, we'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The American robin belongs to the thrush family, whereas the European robin belongs to the flycatcher family. The distinction is discussed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Robin

    I don't know which of the two birds Canadians call robins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ashtray is my Favorite !!! I was going to say what Great tchotchkes you have LOL !!! I use that word too. I have too many in my house lol. I Love my knick knacks. I get it from my Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Btw, I very much value your friendship ! You are a great person Ralph. Thanks so much for the comment on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful story about your family heirloo- I think its so important to keep items like this. I LOVE the globe teaport almost as much as I love Maine and their accents- I'm going to powdah my nose and then eat clam chowda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's sweet to save keepsakes. I like to think of them as physical reminders of things that you carry in your heart.

    I'm sorry that you never had the opportunity to make a connection with those family members.

    I am completely in love with the ashtray.

    I have several similar vintage Japanese pixies that were given to me by mother and great aunt. I love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little elfin fellow on the first dish reminds me of a Christmas elf figure that I have on my bar - it is one of my grandmother's and is from the 50s. I love it.

    Your tchotchkes made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all so cute and sweet!! I love them all, but especially the tattoo fund,very clever!! And it must be so cool to have something named after you! Thanks for letting us in your house and in your heart! Kisses!!

    p.s. - Don't worry about your house decor! It's warm and inviting and it reflects your style. That's ideal when decorating!! If I had to comment on something that needs improvement, is the lack of colour in your walls (some paintings maybe?). Other than that, it's cute and the "Kitchy" vintage items are unique!! I'd put them under some spotlights or something for more focus!! Kisses dear Shy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the kind of decor I want when I finally have a house to myself. I love those special things that means something to you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are very cool pieces, and I love the stories surrounding them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These decors are gorgeous and I love the story behind them. And the pictures are gorgoues =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I be really pedantic? (I can't help it its genetic, I get it from my father) England and Wales are both part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). What you wrote sort of implies that Wales is part of England which it is most definitely not :)

    I'm sure British people make similar mistakes about the US by the way. It is a myth that we share a common language :)

    I'm not greatly into knick knacks either but I do have things with sentimental value and I love to hear the stories behind other peoples possessions too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone needs a few good tchotchkes! They're especially great when they have specific meaning like yours do. I knew there were different Robins in Europe, but I did not know there's a different Robin in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sebbie, I'm sorry you interpreted my remarks that way: I certainly am aware that Wales isn't part of England and don't think I implied it was. My friend there has learned the local language and taught me about its history. She bought the items while visiting England. I mentioned her and her country simply because she gave me the gifts, not because of any association with England.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eek, don't apologise, the problem is all mine :) It just sounds strange to my ear written that way (I'm not very articulate today).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your tchotchke. And I love that I now know how to spell it!! Thanks for that.

    Now off to comment about your cute outfit today!

    xoxo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  20. That ashtray is so cute! The teapot is a lot of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, I love your sense of humor! Here's my lame attempt with a pun: you should have entitled this post "My Kitsch-en Decorations." heehee

    Little things like these breathe so much life and personality into a home. My kitsch used to be somewhat out of control...I've reeled it in quite a bit the last few years, but I still love a good knick-knack.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fab, I love seeing peoples homes ... I always look at your pictures and find it so very clean and tidy, no clutter or knicknacks. Being a 'biker chick' sporadically (no regular baby sitter makes going for rides a little tricky) people can't seem to marry my 'work image' with a biker chick image. But I so don't do biker chick well - the worst I have is a t-shirt that says "keep staring, they might do a trick"! I think it's funny how people still, after so long, and even way down here in Afria, associate bikers with tatooed long haired trouble making gangs. We're just so normal and everyday :-).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Tattoo Fund! There is something that I am curious about...The teapot is also a lovely one! I hope I get one this week ! It is pretty that everything has a meaning and thanks for sharing that=)

    ReplyDelete