Saturday, June 18, 2011

Coney Island Mermaid Parade

Today, I went into Brooklyn for the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade.  It was fabulous!  It far exceeded my expectations.  It was like Halloween, in summer, in Brooklyn, with mermaids.  Thousands of people wore costumes, many very elaborate, and the jovial mood was infectious.  Everyone had a good time.

I went with my girlfriends Jamie and Nicole and we had a blast.  All day long, we joked and laughed and watched amazing sights go by.  Of course, being in Coney Island, we had to eat at Nathan's which started selling hot dogs there a century ago in 1916.  In addition to hot dogs, they also sell -- and I'm not making this up -- frog's legs.  To eat.  I passed on that delicacy and had a lobster roll.

Here are some photos.












11 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! One would need so much confidence to dress up like that! :)

    ♥ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much Fun! The food sounds Great too! Lobster Roll, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun event. Loved the photos.
    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely looks like fun. Also I can't help thinking that this would have been an awesome opportunity for the mermaids to join other women in issueing a "No matter what we're wearing..." political message... was there any of that at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of freedom and fun.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Really beautiful event!! Lovely colors and outfits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like soooo much fun! I love all the mermaid costumes. I always wanted to visit the Nathan's in Coney Island because I read Clara Bow worked there before she started making silent movies. It's definitely iconic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks like loads of fun! Do you know any of the entrants?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ninjas are my favorite, by far. haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that looks like great fun. And you did a phenomenal job with the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE! This is so up my alley. I would have dressed up!

    ReplyDelete