Monday, August 29, 2011

The Aftermath

Well, Hurricane Irene came and went. She wasn't as bad as expected. Lot of rain and strong wind gusts, but no actual devastation. Our yard is full of broken tree branches, but no downed trees.

The only real effect is that we, and millions of others, lost electricity. Which means the lights don't turn on, the refrigerator no longer works and we're running out of hot water. (I dread tomorrow's cold shower... brrr!) No word on when the electricity will be restored.

Without power or Internet access at home, I had to travel to a nearby Starbucks where hordes of middle-class refugees are hovering with laptops and lattes. Not exactly hardship. More like petty inconvenience that, if taken in stride with the right attitude, is a fun change of pace from the rut of normal life.

Turning to the other disaster...

I want to thank all of you, deeply and sincerely, for your incredible words on the last post. You gave me needed perspective and I'm at peace now with that situation.

One unexpected benefit of your comments is that you told me something I've always wondered about -- how you perceive me and my blog. I am amazed at how accurately you see me. This is no small thing -- I've spent most of my life being invisible or misunderstood. To have nice, friendly people like you see me as my real self is a feat I never thought would occur. It blows me over more forcefully than any hurricane.

So thank you. The world really is full of wonders.

20 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you survived Hurricaine Irene. I don't envy you the cold water shower but it could have been a heck of a lot worse. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you are staying safe. To bad about the hot water though.
    I didn't come across your last post until this morning and then I read through some of the comments. I'm glad that you can find so much friendliness and support on the internet (which has such a stereotype of being full of crazy angry people). I was reading (and enjoying) your blog for a couple weeks before I dared to follow or comment because I didn't want you to think I was looking for a 'stereotypical transgender blog friend'. But then I decided that you would probably just read my comments in the supportive friendly sense that I meant them. I think you have a great writing voice and I really enjoy reading.
    Don't spend to much on Starbucks while your power is out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Life is hard, there's no getting around it, and its good when we all pull together and supprt each other. Know that your blogging buddies have your back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so calm about not having electricity. Your perspective is also very calming. I'm sorry about the mess you were left with but happy that you and Robin are safe and well.

    On the other storm, I'm happy that people told you how wonderful you are and that you heard it and felt it. So happy.

    xoxo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you all are safe! I think I'd rather be dirty than take a cold shower though!!! Fortunately for all around me, I don't have to make that choice right now! :) ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't get flooded like people in some areas! A power outage isn't all that bad. Do you have a gas stove so you can at least cook? I've found that a cold shower is much easier to bear after half an hour of running or something of the sort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know you're alright. Hope everything gets back to normal asap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poet, Yes my stove runs on propane gas so it's still usable. Nobody is gonna believe this but it's true -- since I couldn't toast my bagel this morning with the electric toaster-oven, I fried it on the stove! In a frying pan with a little oil. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am glad it was not as bad as it had been anticipated!

    ♡ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to know everything is ok :-) Hope you got my email about your last post ... I never followed up with you about!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you've watched South Park, then you'll understand why I thought of it when I read your comment about going to Starbucks for internet. They had an episode where "The Internet" disappeared from people's homes and everyone was trying to get into Starbucks with their laptops (which had no internet either).

    Hope everyone's power gets restored soon. Yikes.

    www.atavisions.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. There was even an article in our local newspaper about how residents have been flocking to Starbucks for Internet. The place was packed all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad it was all just a scare.
    My brother in CT is also without electricity :(
    He just started a restaurant with two other partners and all the food in the freezer is most likely ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to hear that you survive Irene. She was a bit of a biznitch, wasn't she?

    Anytime you need somebody to build you up, shoot me a message. I'm here for you 100%. <333 Love you!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your attitude about the hurricane and the inconveniences it brought. We lead such pampered lives that sometimes it's good to put things in perspective. Yes, the power can go out for a few days and the world doesn't end! I'm glad that's the worst you had to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our power went out Saturday at 8pm and just came back on today! First thing I did was take a HOT shower! I love electricity!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crap. My comment was eaten. :P

    Anywho, Starbucks is horrible, Just sayin'. I hope that the blogger realized how much of an ass she was and at least said sorry. Even if she was just joking or whatever, she needs to realize that print reads different than spoken words and what she said was mean.

    ReplyDelete