Saturday, October 15, 2016

Rocky Horror Picture Show


With today's gender and sexual freedoms, it's hard to imagine a time when restrictions on social expression were much tighter. 41 years ago, in a more constrained world, "Rocky Horror Picture Show" burst onto the scene. I can't over-state its cultural importance.

When the original "Rocky..." first appeared in 1975, it was ignored. Overlooked by the conventional crowd, it found a real audience later when midnight-shows brought the story to the attention of deviants like me. We embraced the film with joy and enthusiasm. An entire sub-culture evolved around the shows, with audience-participation on steroids. We brought rice and threw it at the screen, screamed taunts at pivotal moments, and dressed up in costumes for the occasion. It was us, not normal people, who made "Rocky..." into a cultural icon.

The movie made stars out of Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meatloaf. Tim has had a long, successful career since then. Sadly, he suffered a stroke a few years ago and now has to use a wheelchair.

When I heard there was a re-make of "Rocky..." in the works, I was fearful. Many great original works are debased by later knock-offs. But hope emerged when I heard the producers  aim to be respectful of the original film and celebrate its fans.

The new "Rocky..." is on television this Thursday (Fox Channel). It stars Laverne Fox as Dr. Frank-n-Furter (Tim Curry's role in the original). Tim, despite his current disability, plays a minor role in the new film; his presence is a sign of the producers' good intent.

Come watch it with me. Have you seen the original?



13 comments:

  1. I saw the film for the first time when I was about thirteen. My mother showed me it and I admit I was a little bewildered!

    I have since seen it in the cinema a handful of times, in the theatre more times, I have also been to a convention, dressed up every time. I have also met a few of the film cast.

    It's one of my favourite films, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You met some of the cast?! I'm wildly jealous. Who?!

      Delete
    2. Patricia Quinn, Richard O'Brien and Christopher Biggins (who was SO NICE!). Also the original stage Rocky and Sal Piro, who hugged me in his cape!

      Delete
  2. I remember the first time I ever saw it. My parents had recorded a lot of television? On vhs tapes (lol dating myself!) And I wound up with several including many reruns of animaniacs. However one tape had Pretty Woman on the first half and the second what seemed to be an odd recording of a showing of both audience participation patched into the actual movie (it was well blended).

    I saw it for the first time in my young teens when I was home sick from school bored because we had tapes, not cable.

    Later I got my own copy only to discover the version I first saw wasn't the "original" and there was no audience. Later research explained it.

    I have to say I still have several of the songs on my play list to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the original (a number of times); my older sister acted in it in her high school play; and then we saw two awesome stage plays. LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the original. Such a brilliant avant garde classic. I still listen to the music from the show on my walks and runs.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not seen the whole film but I admit, it has been in my mind to watch it for two reasons this past month.
    1) I read 'The Perks of being a wallflower' which includes much reference to it.
    2) I have been watching 'The Crystal maze' on Youtube which features Richard O'Brien, the creator of it. I was reading his Biography and I wanted to read a Synopsis of Rocky Horror and then I watched the Time Warp (which I already knew) on Youtube. It is SO WEIRD the way that happens. I think about something or explore it and then it seems to be out or something. I knew NOTHING about this remake. Weird!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please watch this new version! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. OMG, I love Rocky Horror! There was a theatre here in town that ran it every weekend for over 20 years - I've seen it several times with the full audience participaaaaaaa....tion (hee!). It's playing here for Hallowe'en!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen the original and liked it, but my husband loved it, I will tell him, he will be so glad! He is recovering from knee replacement, so having this to watch will really make his day!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to know your thoughts--am watching now :) I went for the first time only afew years ago--I had no idea about all the audience interaction! Or was an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg! This version is a lot like the recorded video I first watched. Downside, I missed Susan Sarandon as Janet. It was rough seeing Tim Curry too.

    ReplyDelete