Monday, November 21, 2016

The Rocky Horror Picture Show



I've raved before about the cultural -- and personal -- significance of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The 1975 movie features Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meatloaf. After bombing during its initial run, it gained new life and immortality during midnight shows in cities (like New York where it played for decades at The Waverly Theater). Those raucous shows include substantial audience-participation with props (e.g., rice).

The recent TV re-make was well-intentioned but disappointingly bland and boring. It lacks the bite of the 40-year old classic. The re-make did, however, awaken new hunger in me for the original soundtrack so I went looking for it, On Saturday I found the record at Rough Trade, the hippest vinyl record store in Brooklyn.

The soundtrack is now on high-quality vinyl and... wait for it... is RED! The music sounds great and it's fun to play with a red platter.

"I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey,,,"

16 comments:

  1. I deliberately passed on the remake - puh-leez, nothing compares to Barry Bostwick, Susan Sarandon (Dammit, Janet!) and Tim Curry! I love that movie, and how awesome that you got the LP on red vinyl! You will be the envy of all the cool kids. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my goal! I wish I had passed on the re-make; the disappointment was deep. It saddened me for weeks.

      Delete
  2. Omg, this is seriously one of my all time favorites! I am planning on doing a cosplay of Columbia sometime soon!!! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have good taste! And Columbia is one of the best characters.

      Delete
  3. I didn't even know they remade it. I'd like to see the film as I've only seen the video of Time Warp on YouTube!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The re-make was on TV last month (Fox channel). See the original film, preferably with a crowd.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to have Rocky Horror on vinyl. I bought the soundtrack on CD over 10 years ago and there's a Time Warp Karaoke on there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Rough Trade is still around, I had no idea. And what find! I remember going to these mid night shows in high school and went to old screenings of Bowie films too.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember way back when...when you would pay extra $ for a coloured record : ) I had a blue Styx LP.

    The red is fabulous!

    I didn't catch the remake but my stylist did and she said it was a big waste of time, and she is in her early 20's. She went to the original Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight showing on Halloween and loved it. I have a few of the songs on my phone for when I run/walk.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is it that remakes often seem like sort of a diluted version of the original? Maybe the general atmosphere was so different back then, there was some joy and fun and nobody was trying to make a point. Or the joy and fun was the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real thrill back in the Eighties was breaking the rules. Even straight guys loved to dress up as Frank-N-Furter because it was so transgressive. The fact that the movie is crude and almost amateurish added to its charm. By contrast, the re-make was polished and smooth and stripped away the excitement.

      Delete
  8. OH, I AM SORRY THE REMAKE WAS DISAPPOINTING! ( NOT TO SURPRISED THOUGH, BUT THAT NEW RED ALBUM! THAT IS SURE TO BRING SOME HAPPINESS!
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    XX, ELLE
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss the warmth of record players. I too was underwhelmed by the remake but the original music often still gets added to my play list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heard not so great things about the remake but would love to revisit the original--I barely remember it it's been so long! Hope you are enjoying the weekend, Ally!!

    ReplyDelete