Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Vampire Salt


Do you remember the post I did two weeks ago on the new Long Island Welcome Center? Well, one of the highlights of that place is its avid promotion of local products. They carry foods made in New York State.

While there, I spotted something called "Vampire Salt." Being a salt-junkie, I had to take a closer look. Vampire Salt is made by a local company in Amityville (Crimson & Clove). Their products are all natural with no chemicals or artificial ingredients.

Vampire Salt has only three ingredients: black Hawaiian salt, garlic and Aleppo pepper. Hawaiian salt (sometimes called Alaea salt) is an unrefined sea salt mixed with volcanic red clay. It get its dark color from particles of volcanic red clay. It is part of native Hawaiian cuisine and used to season Hawaiian dishes. It's also used to cleanse, purify and bless tools, canoes, homes and temples.

Aleppo pepper is a spice used in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. It starts as pods which ripen to a burgundy color and are then dried, de-seeded and coarsely ground. It possesses a spicy kick equivalent to jalapeno peppers.

In addition to looking cool, Vampire Salt tastes good. It's got a strong salt-kick with a medium flavor of garlic and pepper. Perfect for finishing off a dish of vegetables or a juicy steak. Interested?

14 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious. I do like salt and definitely garlic. I tend to forget about pepper. Now that I am a warm autumn I'd better get more spicy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that would be awesome ground over popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interested! What a find : )

    I just used some salt my husband brought back from Djibouti today from a lake there. They call is pearl salt as it looks like little pearls.

    Have you tried Maldon Salt from England? I'm addicted to that stuff! I think it is the best salt I've ever tasted. It comes in flakes.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great packaging, it sounds like a great thing to add some kick to a dish. I rarely cook, but I would love to buy this!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this, you don't have to cook, just sprinkle!

      Delete
  5. What an intriguing idea!!! Always good to try something different! We use sea salt crystals for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I normally use. This is similar but with added flavor.

      Delete
  6. Sounds interesting! It would really add to a plain dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I frequently cook simple vegetable dishes for dinner, so perking them up with a little flavor and salt like this is ideal.

      Delete
  7. OMG, this sounds delicious! I bet it would really spice up an average meal. Thanks so much for sharing (PS: if you're ever in the Amityville area again, let me know--I have a buddy who owns a record store there!).

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really interesting!!! and I am sure it gives an interesting taste to whatever you add it to.

    The only time I had ever heard of Amityville it had the word Horror attached to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds and looks intriguing to me, I need to try this, xx Bing.

    ReplyDelete