Saturday, February 25, 2017

Time and Fear


We think of time as an absolute concept, measured in ticks of a clock. But, even putting aside the vagaries of quantum physics, our perception of time is relative. A good example comes from sports.

Baseball players say that when pressure mounts (like the bases getting loaded), time speeds up for them. Anxiety causes their heart to pump harder. Because time is passing more quickly, they're prone to making stupid errors they'd never make when relaxed. Coaches tell them to SLOW DOWN. Slowing down their body's perception of time allows them to relax and return to normal performance.

The same thing happens to inexperienced car-drivers and motorcycle-riders. Encountering dangerous situations, some panic -- and that's exactly the wrong thing to do. Panic causes our brains to race, depleting us of normal skill. For example, instead of steering away from an oncoming vehicle, panicked operators close their eyes and crash. Their minds fearfully let external factors determine the outcome instead of trying control it.

I've learned to ride my motorcycle in a relaxed state, even when situations are risky. In risky traffic where a millisecond can mean the difference between life and death, I never panic. On the racetrack, sweeping through sharp curves at 120 mph, I stay calm. It isn't easy but this is a trait you can learn. Nobody is born eternally calm; it's a mental tool you develop.

Have you ever felt time "speed up" in a moment of panic?

10 comments:

  1. I tend to feel like time slows down. Although that may be due to my particular mental illness. During high anxiety times or panic attacks, time slows to a stand still and it feels like the awful situation will never end.

    However I find time as a concept is just off for me. I can't maintain a sleep pattern. When I'm awake early in the day to do something, it skews the rest of the day making it seem like more than one day has occured. I'm a pretty impatient person, so time always seems much longer than it really is. My brain races ahead sometimes and everything else is still catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. The core point is that time is not absolute, our perception of it varies.

      Delete
  2. They say that having new experiences manages to slow down our perception of time. We are more aware of being in the moment because it is new to us. I'm all for that since it seems like the older I get, the faster the days race by.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fascinating how the passing of time can feel different depending on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I'm in panic (which I'd love to never be in) I feel like time slows down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How good of you. I am only starting to learn how to do this.
    Not that I am often in dangerous situations. But I get into a frustrated and angry state when something doesn't go the way I want it to go. Obviously you will make things worse when you get in a state. Sit back, take a sip of coffee and look at the problem from a little distance.... That works sooo well.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YES, I've definitely experienced panic speed up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating... but yes--the flight or fight response LIVES in me, Ally. I seriously don't know how to ease in and relax in certain situations though I know some practices (like mindfulness/meditation) have helped immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I have certainly experienced that. However, I've definitely improved my abilities to handle stress and panic-inducing situations over the years. I don't know how well I would do with driving a car at 120 mph around a racetrack, though! That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving a car fast is easy; try doing it on a motorcycle!

      Delete