Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Portland, Maine

As you enter Maine, a sign announces:

Welcome To Maine
The Way Life Should Be

That says it all, doesn't it? Maine is a wonderful place full of natural beauty and few people. Portland is its biggest city yet the place is smaller than my suburban hometown. I explored it Saturday and will definitely return.

Portland has a surprisingly youthful vibe with lots of cool places on Congress Street. The city is lauded for its vibrant food-scene; it is second only to San Francisco in restaurants per capita. Everywhere you look there's another restaurant. They are extremely diverse: I saw Cajun, East African and various ethnic cuisines, along with a vegetarian place where I got a delicious lunch (chives dumplings, asparagus tempura). A clueless patron near me got angry the waitress wouldn't serve him a lobster-roll. "That's not meat, is it?" he insisted.

Not all the food is haute. The famous "Italian hero" was invented in Portland in 1903. Portland and Maine consider the sandwich to be their pride and joy. I tried it at the site of invention, a deli called Amato's (named after sandwich-creator Giovanni Amato).

Portland has lots of good shopping in vintage and vinyl-record stores. I found a delightful pink dress from the Sixties which I'll display here soon. As I bought the dress, a macho male cashier tried to bond with me over motorcycling (I was carrying my helmet). As I was leaving, he asked: "That dress for your woman?" Life is full of awkward moments...











9 comments:

  1. Over the past week business had me making my first visit to Idaho. Maine, along with Alaska, Hawaii, South Dakota, Oklahoma and New Mexico are the only states I have yet to visit and I am sure I will make the run to Maine within the next year. You can bet that we will make a feast of the seafood, especially their lobster and scallops.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lovely town- I've never been, but would totally like to go.

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portland is a pretty awesome place to spend some time. I can't wait to see the dress. And yes, life can be so awkward sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad, and not a bit surprised, that you loved your trip to Maine. The natural beauty there is so reviving! The people are kind, as you have experienced/ Yes, that was an awkward moment, but I know you handled it with grace. Now the dress please!
    xo ,
    Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Portland sounds like a lovely town. That was an awkward moment indeed. Looking forward to seeing the dress. Pink and from the 60s: what's not to like! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of good food options!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to go back. I try to explore the food especially wherever I go and the vegetarian place you went to sounds amazing. LOL @ "that's not meat, is it?" :p

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another awesome post Ally ... SO glad you enjoyed your trip to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had fun in Maine. When we lived in Quebec we would often visit. It is a beautiful State.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete