Saturday, March 31, 2018

Simple Pleasures

Before today I'd never been to one of the most famous BBQ places on Long Island (North Fork Bacon & Smokehouse). That's because it's far away and only open a few days a week. But today is one of those days and I was eager to ride my rocket-ship for a couple of hours. So history was made.

They have a sandwich called the "Heart Attack" so my choice was clear. The Heart Attack contains brisket, pulled pork, mac-n-cheese and French Fries on a bun. Cheese adds just the right amount of moisture to pull the various ingredients together. Yum!

Afterward I went next door for coffee and had a nice long conversation with the owner whose new Triumph Thruxton 900 was perched in front. Bikers establish easy rapport and can talk for hours.

Later I cruised to Wildwood State Park in Wading River where I hiked to the beach, ambled down to a flat boulder, climbed aboard and listened to rhapsodic waves lapping the shore while reading a biography of Rachel Carson whose 1962 book, "Silent Spring," founded our modern environmental concerns. Pics follow...



















6 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a nice day for a ride.

    No doubt they call that sandwich the heart attack. Gotta say, that is about the most American sandwich I've ever seen.

    Happy Easter!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day, Ally. Sitting on a virtually deserted beach, watching and listening to the waves lapping the shore is one of my all time favourite things. So relaxing. Your sandwich, however, is giving me indigestion by just looking at it ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you eat that whole sandwich?? Yikes! that sounds like a lovely Zen kind of day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great looking sandwich. I am jealous. The north shore is wonderful and the north fork is a hidden gem.
    I am not a fan of Rachel Carson. I wonder how many people around the world have died from malaria and other mosquito borne illnesses due to the elimination of DDT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your day sounds awesome and your photos as usual are fantastic.

    I must say that I would DEFINITELY NOT eat that sandwich ~ I cannot understand the combination of ingredients. I would NEVER put mac 'n cheese on a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete