Monday, August 31, 2015

Smithtown Bull

The village next to mine is named Smithtown. It contains a big statue of a bull. Why a bull? Because the town has a creation-myth.

The town was settled in 1665. Legend says that after rescuing an Indian chief's daughter, the town's founder Richard Smith was given a reward -- the chief granted him title to all land Smith could encircle in one day while riding a bull. Richard Smith rode the bull on the Summer solstice (which is the longest day of the year) to have the longest ride. The land he acquired is the current town's location -- all 54 square miles of it.

The bull statue is fiercer than most, don't you think?


 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, he's got it all over the more famous, but less fierce, Wall Street bull. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does indeed cut a menacing figure - but it is also an important reminder that nature has such a duality to it. Animals are cute as the day is long usually, but they're also wild beasts and can be powerfully fierce when needed, too.

    Have a terrific day day of August, my friend!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you so very much for your awesome latest piece of snail mail. It made me smile ear-to-ear and is now out on my bookshelf as a powerful reminder to always make time for whimsy and fun in my busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, how cool to learn something about Long Island! My friend and I headed to Port Jeff this weekend and kind of went past SmithTown. We may check out North Port next. And of course the cool out door mall in Deer Park.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! All those places are fun. I live in Huntington which is universally agreed to be the coolest place on the Island. Let me know when you're out here and I'll buy you coffee!

      Delete
  4. That is an impressive bull. It seems that with the words impressive bull there should be a lawyer joke in there but I'm not that clever. ;-) I always have a very strong urge to pat animal statues. I would imagine that is the only bull I would dare to pat.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's really big, so all you can pat is his knee. :-)

      Delete
  5. what a neat story! the statue definitely commands attention.

    ReplyDelete